When you have had a weekend where your whiskey intake far surpassed that of water, where you were positively forced (pull my arm and leg!!) to eat approximately a million and one snacks in order to keep warm, where you did not go to bed before 4 one night and where nothing you ate had a color other than “off-white” except for those blue M & M’s; yes, I mean the kind of weekend that extracts every ounce of juice from your camera battery and brain and leaves you completely neglecting to charge it [camera battery and brain] as you luxuriate deep in blissful reverie of the weekend fun, you should stop, take a breathah, as we Bostonians say, and do this, STAT.:
1. Cook up some Black Quinoa
2. Saute chopped snap peas in a little oil, minced ginger and salt until cooked but still crisp.
3. Add cubed oranges and saute a bit to add the orange flavor and bring to room temp (I used Cara Cara Oranges for the deep coral color).
4. Make a vinaigrette with 1 T Sesame Oil, 1 T Rice Wine Vinegar and a splash of soy sauce.
5. Layer in a bowl– quinoa, veggie mix, vinaigrette, add some sesame cashews if you have them, and a few squirts of Sriracha, to taste.
6. Serve warm or room temp.
This was quite delicious and the bright colors made it feel just as special as all the treats I had this weekend. I think this could become staple, swapping out various fruits depending on the time of year. Can you imagine how tasty it would be with ripe peaches in July?